Bellow are illustrations of the ruins of the medieval Armenian capital city of Ani. The illustrations are from a 19th century French book titled “Ruins of Ani – Capital of Armenia under the Bagratid kings of the 10th and 11th centuries, History and description.” by Mr. Brosset (printed at the Imperial Academy of Sciences -1861).
Ani became the capital city of the Armenian kingdom under the Bagratid dynasty (ca. 961 AD) and at its zenith grew to over 100.000 inhabitants rivaling the likes of Constantinople and Cairo. Because of its size and beauty it was also known as “the city of 1001 churches” and “the city of 40 gates”. Due to tireless attacks and countless invasions from outside forces the city was eventually ruined and abandoned. Today Ani largely remains a forgotten ancient Armenian ghost town in modern day Turkish province of Kars. Travelers, writers, and other adventurers through ages have described Ani with high regard. Read more about the city HERE.